Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Book Revew #2: Sew what if the title is a pun?

sewbook

Working in advertising, screams are heard when a pun is used in copy. That aside, I remember back in the day reading about the label Built by Wendy in Seventeen magazine back when she was making cute outfits and guitar picks. Fifteen years later, she has a few stores, great clothes, and now this. If you're anything like me, you've often dreamt of making your own clothes, but the fear of sewing machines and pattern making have made you keep your distance. I read the first few chapters last night, her story is simple and inspiring, and she breaks down everything you need to get started. The book comes with three basic patterns, educates on the world of fabric, and there are more books to follow. She also gives some good suggestions like cutting up thrift store clothes to familiarize yourself with new shapes and patterns. Now all I need is a sewing machine. My mother and I almost bought one last week at Big Lots, but of course the one shown in the advertisement is the professional one, and the low price was for the student one. Anyway, I recommend it, and I'll keep you posted on my developing skills.

No comments: